By 1987, ADG outgrew its suite of rented offices in University City and purchased a 4,000 square foot circa 1918 building in downtown Maplewood, an inner ring suburb of St. Louis. The purchase and subsequent renovation of this building coincided with the start of resurgence of the community to the extent that the once neglected downtown area was named “Best Mile in St. Louis” by The Riverfront Times.
With the original renovation, Barry Greenberg designed and built the storefront and all of the furniture. Over the last 20+ years, expansion and reconfiguration have allowed us to address our needs and have room for expansion. In 2003, Barry purchased the adjacent 3,000 square foot building (formerly a pool hall) to the north and gutted the building which now houses ADG’s engineering department, offices for Sherwood Forest Camp, and a hair salon. The renovation incorporated reuse of building materials, recycling of all of the demolition debris (except gypsum board), sustainable materials, daylighting with roof monitors, high albedo roof, additional insulation and thermal glazing. Mechanical system components include zoned, high efficiency HVAC units with bacterial filtration, tankless water heater, and air-to-air heat exchanger.